Another day, another trip. We made the drive over to Oxford so mom could get her fix at Square Books. This store has made several "best of" lists over the years. It made Time magazine's top 20 list for bookstores a few years ago. She is pretty well known there as I found out. I took a walk around the square, got these pics of the County Courthouse and City Hall, found a local shop with Ole Miss t-shirts, caps, etc., and as I got back to the bookstore found mom asleep in one of the reading chairs. There are some advantages to being 90. We went from there to the local cafe on the square, the City Grocery. This place has also been recognized nationally, and is the first place I got shrimp and grits. Mom also knows the ownership of this cafe, and told me she is frequently comped here. I met one of the owners as we ate, but no comps came out for the son from Tex. Rats! William Faulkner is the best known Oxford resident, so there is a bronze of him in front of the City Hall. We felt obligated to get pics. Mom took this one pic of me, and I think it's the first picture she's ever taken. She kept putting the LCD screen up to her eye. We finally worked it out, and proceeded on. This old phone booth sits at one corner of the square. It doesn't appear to be in working order, but adds a touch to this quaint city. We're heading over to Rowan Oak next, so follow along.
Sunday, September 30, 2007
9-30-07 #3
Another day, another trip. We made the drive over to Oxford so mom could get her fix at Square Books. This store has made several "best of" lists over the years. It made Time magazine's top 20 list for bookstores a few years ago. She is pretty well known there as I found out. I took a walk around the square, got these pics of the County Courthouse and City Hall, found a local shop with Ole Miss t-shirts, caps, etc., and as I got back to the bookstore found mom asleep in one of the reading chairs. There are some advantages to being 90. We went from there to the local cafe on the square, the City Grocery. This place has also been recognized nationally, and is the first place I got shrimp and grits. Mom also knows the ownership of this cafe, and told me she is frequently comped here. I met one of the owners as we ate, but no comps came out for the son from Tex. Rats! William Faulkner is the best known Oxford resident, so there is a bronze of him in front of the City Hall. We felt obligated to get pics. Mom took this one pic of me, and I think it's the first picture she's ever taken. She kept putting the LCD screen up to her eye. We finally worked it out, and proceeded on. This old phone booth sits at one corner of the square. It doesn't appear to be in working order, but adds a touch to this quaint city. We're heading over to Rowan Oak next, so follow along.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment