Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11-07






I made it over to Marfa today, after wasting a little time last night trying to check out the Marfa Lights. It was a bit too rainy and cloudy to see anything. Either that or it was too wet for the people that sneak out in the desert after dark with their spotlights for the show. Skeptical? You bet.
This is the courthouse for Brewster County in Marfa. What struck me is it isn't made of granite blocks, like the ones in the Hill Country. It does fit the area though. I took the road down to Presidio and drove the River Rd. to Lajitas, and Terlingua after getting out of Marfa. From this picture of the Rio Grande, it's hard to tell which side of the river is owned by the great world power, and which side is trying to get there. It's about 50 mi.s of open territory along this road. How in the hell is a fence going to keep us separated?
Anyway, heading on down the road, as I went through Lajitas, then Terlingua, it really struck me how much these towns have changed since the last time I was there in the mid-80's. Progress has hit the Big Bend area. This one picture of the sandy area with the trailers in the background was the site of the Terlingua Store, the underground bar, and the theater. I don't know where they went.
This cloud covered mountain was on the trip back up to Alpine. I somehow managed to slow down enough so I could get out and take this pic. It's a wide open, straight, well paved road where I finally got a chance to feel what my car would do. Check out the speedometer. If I hadn't been holding the camera with one hand I know that shaking image would be showing a higher number. This is speed merchant signing off. I'll be heading down to the Deep South to see family in the next couple of weeks, but I'll keep in touch. See y'all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After seeing the shakey speedometer shot, I could not help but think that later I might read " this is the
last any one heard of Owen Smith". Keep both hands
on the wheel ya big dummie...If you want to take a picture of something try and find some wild nekid dancing girls.............

Anonymous said...

I love the springs in the desert. I may cross off Halifax and substitute springs. Memphis October 25-29, I'm helping a friend at an arts festival there (BUY YO SHAWLS HERE, GET YO SHAWLS HERE, !!! GOOD STUFF BEHIND THE TENT!! ) so don't you head down to the deep south without checking on the state of my presence. Does that make any sense? Keep up the good driving.