Aaah, nice drive up here to Santa Fe, half desert, half mountains, relaxing. I made my way down to the Plaza for a walk-about, and found it to be quite artsy. There are 18 times as many shops as there are doorways around the square. It's like mini-mall city. One gallery I really liked was the Chuck Jones shop. Remember?, he was the main cartoonist for all the old Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Road Runner, Wiley Coyote, Elmer Fudd films. Almost every cell on display brought back the whole cartoon. I got lots'a yuks out of the place, but at $1200 a pop they can keep 'em. There is one of those old churches at one end of the Plaza. St. Francis of Assissi had something to do with it 'cause it's named after him. A little south of the Plaza is the oldest church building in the U.S. I can't remember all the details, but there it sits. Around the corner and down the alley from this is the oldest house structure in the U.S. It's built on an old pueblo foundation that dates back to 1200. The house was built and being occupied by the Spaniards between 1598 and 1612. That's pretty awesome.
After a little more wandering, I got a bite at this restaurant overlooking the Plaza. As is my wont, I was taking some pictures, and noticed the two ladies trying to back out of the way. I told them it was alright as they added texture to the shot. Well, they just giggled away at that. After eating, I headed on back to the car, but had to stop for a pic with the pachiderms. They were there, I was there...had to happen. Tomorrow starts Fiesta here. I think I'll return. 'Til then, (we're about to catch up).
No comments:
Post a Comment