Goshdang it, I just had one of the most fun experiences I can expect on this trip. My tour, the one where I was going to get some different views of the island, took off...finally. Being first in line for this tour, I did a little extra to make sure things got off to a good start. The pilot, Phil, showed up after I had waited about fifteen minutes at the airport. He needed to get the plane from a hangar on the far side, so I got in his car and we drove around to get it. We were talking away as he put oil, and some other fluids in the plane. He said that the propeller needed turning to stir the oil up before starting the motor, so I got to give it a good spin or three. We pushed the plane out onto the runway, I crawled into the front seat, put on the headset, tightened up the seatbelt, and not 5 min.'s later we were airborn. Although the plane looks ancient, it was built in 1999, so there was none of the vibrations, smoking, coughing, etc. that I expected to experience. Actually, I was kind'a looking for that. We cruised along the coast, looping out every now and then to circle one of the smaller islands, which I guess was part of the flight plan, because the fog still hadn't burned off, and they were wrapped up. As we flew out over the water, he let me take the stick for a few minutes. I would turn left and Phil would tell me to raise the nose. As I turned back to the right, I had it figured out that as you turn, the nose drops, so I would pull back on the stick just a little as we turned. I should have been a pilot. Phil took control again as we flew back over the island. We zoomed around for an hour, then had to go back to the airport. He took this picture with me and the plane. Man, that was something else. If any of y'all ever get a chance to fly in an open cockpit biplane, I would say go for it. It's a memorable time. Tomorrow's another day in the park, so I'll talk later. Adieu!
Monday, July 30, 2007
7-30-07 #2
Goshdang it, I just had one of the most fun experiences I can expect on this trip. My tour, the one where I was going to get some different views of the island, took off...finally. Being first in line for this tour, I did a little extra to make sure things got off to a good start. The pilot, Phil, showed up after I had waited about fifteen minutes at the airport. He needed to get the plane from a hangar on the far side, so I got in his car and we drove around to get it. We were talking away as he put oil, and some other fluids in the plane. He said that the propeller needed turning to stir the oil up before starting the motor, so I got to give it a good spin or three. We pushed the plane out onto the runway, I crawled into the front seat, put on the headset, tightened up the seatbelt, and not 5 min.'s later we were airborn. Although the plane looks ancient, it was built in 1999, so there was none of the vibrations, smoking, coughing, etc. that I expected to experience. Actually, I was kind'a looking for that. We cruised along the coast, looping out every now and then to circle one of the smaller islands, which I guess was part of the flight plan, because the fog still hadn't burned off, and they were wrapped up. As we flew out over the water, he let me take the stick for a few minutes. I would turn left and Phil would tell me to raise the nose. As I turned back to the right, I had it figured out that as you turn, the nose drops, so I would pull back on the stick just a little as we turned. I should have been a pilot. Phil took control again as we flew back over the island. We zoomed around for an hour, then had to go back to the airport. He took this picture with me and the plane. Man, that was something else. If any of y'all ever get a chance to fly in an open cockpit biplane, I would say go for it. It's a memorable time. Tomorrow's another day in the park, so I'll talk later. Adieu!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You big jack-nut...Sam became a pilot. If he can, you can. Go for it !!! I bet that was fun and very beautiful
as well..Cant wait to see where you are off to next..
Maybe bob-sleding nekid down the slopes in Montana. I guess we will just have to wait and see...
Scrap the chipmonk pics and send us some wild nekid dancing girls........
I took the controls of a small plane once . . . BUT IT HAD A ROOF!! Are you crazy?? Anyway, hang on tight, can't wait to see where we go next.
PS. When you get back, I'll take you for a ride in my new car....
'The Girl'
Post a Comment