Thursday, July 12, 2007

7-12-07 #1






Where's Owen? A hint, look for the blue. This was at a little nature area outside of Titusville, Fla. It was one of the last pictures I took on my way out of Florida. From there I headed up through Georgia and South Carolina. Spent the night in Columbia. I had decided to go to the Smoky Mountains, and Asheville, N. Car. seemed like a good place to set up for a few days. It came as a complete surprise to me that Biltmore mansion is here. Built by one of the Vanderbilts, it's supposed to be the largest house in America. I have no reason to doubt that, especially since seeing that dining room. The masonry and rock work are something else. It always amazes me how this stuff gets built, considering the tools they were using. As gardens go, this one holds its own. The rain started after a couple of hours, so I didn't wander around like I usually do. There's a lot more to the place than what I saw...after all it's surrounded by 8,000 acres. There's a winery on the property, a stable area. plowed fields, an inn, a river, and a fancy pantsy restaurant. Well, that's enough culture for today. Next comes the mountains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, pretty amazing that place... Some people have
WAY too much money...hard to believe,,,,