Well, no Fourth fireworks from Crystal River, Fla. I was told by some folks about the manatee encounter boat trips that were available in this town, so I spent the day chasing the elusive sea cow. As you can tell, the water was no where near clear, but that's where the manatees were. We all got wet suits....good gravy, I've never spent as much time putting on pants and shirt...and got kicked out at the manatee site. The only way to tell there were manatees was to feel them, or have them run into you. I broke up when one of the 12 yr. olds started yelling "he swam between my crotch..he swam between my crotch". When someone would feel one of these big ol' gentle beasts, they would say something, and everyone would hustle over. There was a good bit of water inhaled from getting into the midst of the melee, and getting flipper slapped. There were about 15 of us, and I'd guess, maybe 5 manatees. I can see where there would a lot more individual reaction when the water is clear, but that's between Nov. and March. At the end of the tour the guide took us to where the springs that feed the lake are. You had to swim up this little creek for a couple of hundred feet where it opened up into a crystal clear pool. That was more like it. I'm learning every day that the middle of winter is definitely the time to visit Florida. I'll get with y'all later, so take care.
Wednesday, July 4, 2007
7-04-07
Well, no Fourth fireworks from Crystal River, Fla. I was told by some folks about the manatee encounter boat trips that were available in this town, so I spent the day chasing the elusive sea cow. As you can tell, the water was no where near clear, but that's where the manatees were. We all got wet suits....good gravy, I've never spent as much time putting on pants and shirt...and got kicked out at the manatee site. The only way to tell there were manatees was to feel them, or have them run into you. I broke up when one of the 12 yr. olds started yelling "he swam between my crotch..he swam between my crotch". When someone would feel one of these big ol' gentle beasts, they would say something, and everyone would hustle over. There was a good bit of water inhaled from getting into the midst of the melee, and getting flipper slapped. There were about 15 of us, and I'd guess, maybe 5 manatees. I can see where there would a lot more individual reaction when the water is clear, but that's between Nov. and March. At the end of the tour the guide took us to where the springs that feed the lake are. You had to swim up this little creek for a couple of hundred feet where it opened up into a crystal clear pool. That was more like it. I'm learning every day that the middle of winter is definitely the time to visit Florida. I'll get with y'all later, so take care.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Are you sure you were'nt the big sea cow that 12 yr old kid was talkin bout? I still dont see any wild nekid dancing girls.......Come on O.........
Post a Comment