Monday, July 23, 2007

7-23-07 #2






One of my biggest regrets for this trip was that I only had one day in Annapolis, Md., but I was on a mission from God. Once I got there I headed to the visitor's center for maps, etc. I found that this is a pretty simple city to drive around in without getting lost, which was a big relief for me. It was recommended to me to head down to the pier area for a late lunch and boat tour. The tour was pretty neat, going by the Naval Academy, checking out the skyline, and looping around the bay. Notice the dome on the far right. The top of it is actually gold. I can imagine the "plebes" scrambling around with their Brasso keeping it polished. As we cruised on the north shore this sailboat, looking like it was preparing for an America's Cup race, got to cutting in and out behind us. The general consensus on the boat was that it was the Academie's. One thing about the tour was these little sailboats lined up, and being towed by a small fishing boat. They were filled with little sailors who had no control of their little boats at all, but were just enjoying the ride.
After we docked, I went wandering around the shops, bars, restaurants, etc. This one bar and grill, McGarvey's, was suggested to me for a meal. I didn't see a date on the building, but the eatery next door had "Est'd. 1750" posted on it. Talk about longevity. Anyway, I ended up at McGarvey's for a steamed seafood plate with oysters, clams, mussels, and shrimp. Once again....YAAAR!
That's all the time I had, but I would love to return some day to see much, much more of this charming city. I'm off to Philly, so we'll talk again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Owen, I love your blog! I'm living vicariously through you; it seems that's the only vacation I'm going to get any time soon (sad, isn't it?). I literally check it every morning to see where I'm going next.... Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Owen, I just back from 4 days in East Texas. Was fun to catch up with where you have been and where you are headed. Only pic I have to show is a 5 lb bass but
at least it was nekid!!! Keep it up !!!