Monday, July 16, 2007

7-16-07






I'm trying to keep up with this blog, but computerese gets in the way sometimes. That was the last time I'll stay at a Holiday Inn Express, no matter how smart the TV ads claim I'll get. Their WI FI has trouble with Macs, and that's directly from their tech support. Phooey! Anyway I just left Roanoke after a couple of days. For a pork rib fan, things just keep getting better. I was turned onto this little BBQ joint, Henry's Memphis Bar B Cue, and had a slab about the size of a Gideons Bible. They had a habanero sauce that kicked me all over the floor. What's for dinner Grandpa?
The Natural Bridge park is about 25 mi's east of town, so I found this country drive to get out there. The Natural Bridge is something else. The land it sits on was originally surveyed by George Washington. In the one picture notice the rectangle painted on the side of the rock. It's about 25 ft. up a sheer cliff. If you zoom in on it, you can somewhat make out Washington's initials. The G is fairly clear, but I really had to use my imaganition to see the W. I guess since 1750 there has to have been some weathering.
I spent some time after seeing the Bridge on an out of the way ride to get back to Roanoke. On the road map I use, a Rand Mcnally, there is this little town that I was determined to get a picture with their city limits sign. I found the town, but there were no signs, and no stores or businesses named for their town. I guess I can see the reluctance in people flaunting "Saltpetre" as their home town. If it was me, I'd be selling t-shirts, and holding an annual party. Oh well, I'm heading toward Washington D.C., so I'll catch y'all later.

2 comments:

curtis said...

O.N. - you know, Sister used to send Dad ribs from Corky's - of course in care or yours truly - I highly recommend you fed ex me sample from each "joint" so I can taste-test - I think that is one of Court Jester duties, and since Deborah thinks I am big fool, I guess I qualify. When you go to D.C., be sure to to to Arlington Cemetary and see guard changing at tomb of unknown. your Bro

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!!People having trouble with Macs
Phooeeyyy.... I am off to East Texas for a couple of days to check on farm. Have a good time in the mean time..!!Keep up the nice photos....