Thursday, July 26, 2007

7-25-07 #2






Howdy! Today's trip took me up to the falls in Bush Kill, Pa. It's about 85 mi's north of Philly in the Delaware Water Gap Area. The trip was going smoothly until I got to within 7 mi's of Bush Kill when the traffic came to a dead stop. After crawling along for a bit, I figured I'd rather loop around than spend another hr. or two vegetating. Whipping out my trusty map, I found a road that would take me through the forest, and come into the falls from the north. The only trouble was there is no hwy. no. on the map, so I took off kind'a blind.Well, after an hour or so, I was at this gravel road intersection staring at the map. This guy in an old International truck with a canoe on top pulled up and asked if I needed some help. Next thing I know I'm taking a "left at the A-frame house" onto Snow Hill Rd. (unmarked), then another left.....eventually I reached the falls. These falls are known as the Niagara Falls of Pa., which is a pretty good misnomer if you're looking for giant misty falls with tour boats, which I wasn't. I guess they got that name from their upmost falls with names like Bridesmaids and Bridal Veil. Once again, I found a nice park that put a good walk on me. First on the trail is the Main falls, 1st picture. After a real good 30 min. or so steadily uphill trek I reached the upper Bridesmaid falls, then circled around to this other trail that took me back down. The trail map showed this water stop at the highest point of the hike. At this point, there is a green plastic building, about 10 ft. x 10 ft., with those fold up covers like you see at fireworks stands. Believe me, I wasn't the only one trying to pry up those locked covers just in case there was some water in there. It was shut down tighter 'n Tiger Woods golf shirt. Auugh! Any way I made it back down to the snack stand at the entrance, and commenced to do the rehydration thing. After a few recovery min.s, I drove on up to Dingman's Falls where I met my little buddy, the chipmunk. We shared a few moments on the trail before he/she (can you tell?) made it back into the woods. After seeing these falls, I went into this little town called Dingman's Ferry, hoping that wasn't a lie. Ends up there was a ferry at one time, but had been replaced with this nice old bridge. On the road back along the river, beautiful, I saw, and had to have a picture of this neat old barn. I whipped into a roadside produce stand, walked back up the road, and got on the other side of this "Privaty Property, No Entrance" sign so I could get this shot. No trouble. JUST realized there is a limit on prose on these blogs, so I'll talk later. Adios.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a fantastic barn!! We got lost in a cornfield looking for a bridge over the Schukylyhlyyss (idiot spelling) River in Pennsylvania. Is it better to be lost on a road?

claco18 said...

fantastic very good http://mundoclaco.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

On the sex of the chipmonk--lift up the tail and look for balls..........