Thursday, July 12, 2007

7-12-07 #2






Headed out this morning for the Smokys. I've got to say, first off, that in every turn in the roads to the mountains and back some amazing view would just leap out at me. Beautiful ride. About halfway across the park was Clingman's Dome. It's a 7 mile trip off the main road. A ranger at the welcome station said that was the highest point in the Park, and it had an observation tower about 45 ft. up. What he didn't say is there's a 0.5 mi. trail to the tower, and it rises 330 ft. There was a lot of moaning and groaning on the way up, and I did my share. I would guess there were 300 to 400 people at any time on the trail. They ranged from couples in their 70's, 6 yr. old kids on their fathers shoulders, die hard hikers, to this young mother pushing twins up in a stroller. As we rounded the last curve before the crest, this other trail merged. The sign said it was the Appalachian Trail. It struck me just how long, remote, and elevated that trail is. If I ever meet a person who has walked it, I will fall to my knees and shake their hand.
After the Dome, I forged ahead through the Park. At the other side is this town, Gatlinburg. It's pretty touristy, but I did get a great BBQ pork rib plate for a late lunch. I'll talk later from the "land of iced tea".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work... Its nice turning on the computer (Mac) in the morning and checking your blog. From the ocean to the mountains..How fun and different that must be... I looked on the bridge in the last pic....I still dont see any wild nekid dancing girls..