Wednesday, August 1, 2007

8-1-07






This is my final day in the Acadian National Park/Bar Harbor area. Yesterday, I took a whale watching tour in another large catamaran, like the one in the Keys. There are summer homes along the coast for the hoi-poloi who summer here. We passed a few of these on the way out of the harbor, with this one being a pretty good example of the style. I also got another view of the Park, having seen it from land, sky, and now sea. It only took about an hour to get out to the area where the whales were reported to be. Once the boat got to the site, it cruised lazily along, waiting for the whales. The brochures showed whales breaching right by the boat. That didn't happen. The ones we saw, there were 4 or 5 fin whales, got only as close as 100 yd.'s from us. I got some pictures, that if you zoom in you'll see. These whales were feeding, so they just came out of the water enough to take breaths. I'd see a spout of water, then by the time I'd try to take a picture, they'd be bye-bye. It was a nice day, and idling around waiting was neat anyway. After an hour or so, it was back to Bar Harbor. I got a few more pictures of the docks then headed back to Bangor to get ready to roll again. I'm not sure where I'm going...although crossing the Mississippi in Minneapolis is out of the question now....but I'll keep in touch. I'm going to miss this area of Maine. It's been spectacularly scenic, and I enjoyed all the harbors along the Park. Here's another place I'd like to return to sometime, but into the Fall for the foliage. This is a fun place. Time to go, so bon voyage.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like an amazing place, I've never been to that part of the country before now! Could you tell what sex the whales were? It might be a little more difficult to tell than with the squirrel. Be safe.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Bro! Wanted to finally check in and let you know Susu and I have been folowing all your adventures (at least the ones you're willing to post publicly) and all the wisecrack comments from your beloved friends and family. We're taking inspiration for some big road trips of our own in the near future. By the way, at the rate you're going, that Minneapolis bridge will be rebuilt before you reach the Missippi River. You're doing it just right. --Little Bro

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work on sending us pics..Gives us working stiffs something to look forward to when we get home..I hear you have gotten some wisecracks
from some people. The nerve...Will be on the look-out for them.........Chio...

Dangerous Diving Dan

Unknown said...

Owen where are you??? You must have finally found those nekkid dancing girls your friend keeps talking about..... Let us know that you're alright and having fun.