Friday, August 10, 2007

8-10=07






Greetings from middle America. I had a day off from driving Thursday and spent the day rolling around Davenport, Iowa. It's right on the Mississippi, and has several sites honoring Buffalo Bill who was born in corn country about 20mi.s north of there. I took in the museum for him on the dock area in Le Claire, just north of Davenport. There was this satellite dish looking object in there covered with 2"x2" mirrors that were all aimed toward this copper pipe coil in the center of the dish. It ended up being someone's idea for a solar water heater. The picture here would be my refracted reflection. The first shot of a solar sex panel within a solar water heater.
After the tour, there was a lot to see in there, I walked outside to check on some tour boats. The weather was rainy again, so the boats weren't running, but I did get covered with may flies. Any area of grass, bushes, foliage held these annoying critters that loved to get between my glasses and eyes. Aaaargh!
About this time a faux paddle boat came chugging by. As it floated down the river, I could see diesel smoke coming out between the paddles, which weren't even turning. Huck and Tom would be flabbergasted.
As I drove out to Buffalo Bill's homestead, I passed several old barns. I seem to be as fascinated by them as much as I am by old churches. What I need to do is find an old red wooden church, and get the best of both worlds. This rock and wood two story job is the actual house the Billster was raised in. It has been restored some, but the wood floors have been left alone. Walking around the second story was kind of iffy.
Well, I got back on the road this morning, got caught in this major interstate jam due to an awful wreck, then had to change my route since an 18 wheeler had tipped over on my exit. I'm whipped, so off to bed. I'll be checking out Sioux Falls, S. Dak. tomorrow, so I'll write again then. Buenas noches.

No comments: