This is a mighty fine area of South Dak. From Mt. Rushmore, about 15 mi.s to the sculpture in progress of Crazy Horse. There was no walking allowed inside the blasting area, but there is a bus tour to the base of the sculpture. From this view you can really get an idea of the size of the work. When it's finished, another decade or so, the Rushmore faces will fit inside it. This next shot is from the visitor's area a mile away. Also in this area is a scale model of the finished product, with the mountain in the background. There's a drawing overlaying the existing mountain to show how much of the rock needs to be removed. Inside the artist's area, there is a pile of softball sized rocks from the mountain. The guides encourage everyone to take a few. I think it's their way of dumping some of the excess from the site. Clever? There are other sculptures around, and my favorite was this bronze of fighting stallions. I was more impressed by Crazy Horse, even in this unfinished state, than by Rushmore. I've been in this coffee shop for a while now, once more my hotel doesn't have wi-fi, so I think I'll run on now, and see what else I can scare up in this area. Deadwood, maybe? I'll tell 'em Betty says hi. Later gators.
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
8-14-07 #2
This is a mighty fine area of South Dak. From Mt. Rushmore, about 15 mi.s to the sculpture in progress of Crazy Horse. There was no walking allowed inside the blasting area, but there is a bus tour to the base of the sculpture. From this view you can really get an idea of the size of the work. When it's finished, another decade or so, the Rushmore faces will fit inside it. This next shot is from the visitor's area a mile away. Also in this area is a scale model of the finished product, with the mountain in the background. There's a drawing overlaying the existing mountain to show how much of the rock needs to be removed. Inside the artist's area, there is a pile of softball sized rocks from the mountain. The guides encourage everyone to take a few. I think it's their way of dumping some of the excess from the site. Clever? There are other sculptures around, and my favorite was this bronze of fighting stallions. I was more impressed by Crazy Horse, even in this unfinished state, than by Rushmore. I've been in this coffee shop for a while now, once more my hotel doesn't have wi-fi, so I think I'll run on now, and see what else I can scare up in this area. Deadwood, maybe? I'll tell 'em Betty says hi. Later gators.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Mt Rushmore is pretty amazing, I got to see it when my Dad and I were on the Great American Race, it's pretty intimidating when you're looking up at it from a 1916 Chevy. Maybe I'll get to see Crazy Horse someday. Are you going to make it into Montana? It's one of my favorite states...they don't call it Big Sky country for nothing. Travel hint: Gas stations (for whatever you need them for) are few and far between in some areas. Have fun and be safe!
Hey, Bro! Now tell me the Corn Palace wasn't the highlight of your entire trip. Thanks for the photos. Safe travels through the High Country and keep the reports coming.
Post a Comment