Here we go again. A couple of days after the ranch trip we went to visit this little town, Aduano. This first pic is of the square surrounded by the few stores and houses that make up the town. There are very few people living here but once a year there is a pilgrimage of 10,000 people or so who come to see the cactus growing on the outer wall of the local church. Somebody once saw the Virgin in the cactus, although if you can find it in this picture you've got a better imagination than me.I was much more impressed by the huge fig tree growing into the side of a house just above the arroyo running through town. Our family had a fig tree in our yard when I was growing up, but nothing compared to this. I wonder if the figs are proportional ? There's a nice restaurant in town where we'll eat later on in the trip. A report will ensue upon finishing a meal.
After wandering through the town a little more, we headed on back to Alamos. Siestas are catching around here. I think I got an hour in almost every day. A little later, we rode into town to recycle some of the wine bottles accumulating in the house. The shop that took the bottles had a video store on one side. Wrestling videos...hundreds of 'em. Anyway, Suzanne called me to the other store, so I went over there to see this table full of green mango jelly. I don't know what stage they were in as far as being finished goes, but they looked scrumptious as was. I guess the two ladies do this on a regular basis. I have no idea why they're in these little bowls, but it was a tasty little treat for the afternoon. Once again, speaking the language would have been helpful.
Later on we met these two ladies that David and Suzanne had gotten to know. B.K. and Donna are from Canada, I think, have lived down here for a while, and were in the process of building a new house on this high point on the edge of town. We met there, took a little tour of the house as it was, and headed back into town for a meal. This last picture is of Alamos from B.K. and Donna's house site. Somewhere down there we went to a little Italian restaurant that was supposed to be the best in town. As we were ordering, we all had pizzas with different toppings, someone noticed that one of the toppings was "cherries". Being versed enough in what goes on pizzas, there was the general opinion that they were talking about cherry tomatoes. Well....the pizzas arrived a little later and spotted around on the one pizza were reddish/pink maraschino cherries straight from the jar. The same kind that go into fruitcakes. We all got a good laugh then proceeded to finish all of the pizzas. That was a funny night, and I was glad to meet the ex-patriots. It seems they have a couple of houses in town, although they still make it back up to Canada at times. Ah well, after the meal it was back to my casita for a nice windy night. The wind was howling for several days while I was down there which was nice considering the normal heat during this time of year. It made for some nice times hanging out on the roof right at sunset shooting the breeze with Suzanne and David. Oookaaaayy! I'll get back to y'all later. I've got a few more posts to go, but I'll catch up later. Adios mi amigos y compadres!
No comments:
Post a Comment