Hidy Ho neighbors. I guess I'm gonna finally sit down for these last posts on my trip to Mexico. We went down to the coast one day for some beach wandering, bird watching, and picture taking. It was interesting to see these little cabanas that were set up for rent for anyone wanting to use one, although there was no one within 1/2 mi. or more to take money or oversee the use of these in any form. As Suzanne and I wandered the beach with Ray, David drove ahead to meet us at a little restaurant on the beach. The water down here is nice , but it does have a little green tint to it. I guess that's the difference between the Caribbean water and Gulf of California water. Any way we got on up the beach to a little cabana eatery. I had the shrimp, as usual, as did David and Suzanne. We were the only people there, the waiter was the cook as well, and he spoke English which made for a pleasant time without trying to translate, etc. The next time around, I'm gonna bone up on Spanish for sure. After a few hours on the beach , we headed back to Alamos with a little side stop on the way at the world's largest sardine processing area. There were ships unloading as we were there with the most vile odor I've ever tried to put up with over a period of time. The bird watchers were ignoring the smell as they pointed out this bird and that bird. Some people just love what they do.
Anyway, we were soon back in town for a meal and a nice night sleep. The next day I walked downtown to pick up two white shirts, just like the Mexicans wear. These are extra thick cotton with a nice full fit, great for a Mexican summer I bet. That night it was back to the fancy little restaurant in Aduano. The owner was there and since we were the only patrons, he felt comfortable plopping down at our table for some small talk. We learned he had restaurants in Spain and Italy as well as this one. He regaled us with his worldly wanderings as we had our meals. I had shrimp again, so predictable, as David had a chicken dish, and Suzanne had a beef filet. This was a world class restaurant so the food was magnificent, but the tab was only 500+/- pesos. That's fifty bucks to Norte Americanos.
As I've said, sleep is no problem down Mexico way......except for this last night in the casita. The first thing I saw as I flicked on the lights to get ready for bed was a scorpion scooting across the floor. You can imagine what I thought every time I felt a little tickle as I was trying to sleep.
The next day it was off to Guaymos for the flight home, but a stop at the local bakery was in order as we left town. It was the same kind of pastries, etc. that you'll find in Austin or elsewhere, but just having come out of that wood fired oven made everything seem more tasty. This last picture is of a boulder in the center of a road. There were barricades, signs, etc. trying to block entrance to this road that we thought was under repair. I guess the locals couldn't be bothered with plastic warning signs, so someone rolled this in the road. Once again it's just the Mexican way.
I had a pretty uneventful flight back to Austin if you don't count the mad dash through the Phoenix airport after 15 min.s in line at customs, then realizing my flight was within ten minutes of departure time. I was steppin' and fetchin' like my head was on fire and my ass was catchin' as I made tracks down the moving sidewalk and got to my gate as one of the last three people in line. Oh well, the flight to Austin was pleasant, and I bid adios to my brother, his wife, and the memories of old Mexico.
P.S. This post was the first on my new computer, so the pictures are placed in reverse order of what I would like. A minor glitch, but something I'll figure out eventually. Adios muchachos!
No comments:
Post a Comment