This whole thing got started on June 14th with a drive across Texas, from Austin to Lafayette, La. I didn't make it to New Orleans, just satisfied with driving the road along the Gulf, and snarfing on lots of seafood and Cajun meals. I still remember spotting the gator road-kill and thinking to myself "dat dar be a right smart 'mount of tail meat, I garontee". Rural Lousiana still has this draw to it, and I'll return when possible.
After a couple of days there, I hit the road again with the idea of getting toward Key West. Getting to the Keys was the main idea that got this road trip started. On the way through Alabama, I spent some time at the battleship Alabama. There is a C-47 on display. That's the plane my father flew during the War. Through Florida, I spent a day in Pencilcola, continued on down to Crystal River, a town on the west coast of Fla., and finally ended up at the Keys for a week. That is such a neat place, and I had thoughts that I should've lived there for a year or two back in my 30's. Oh well, that's water under the loooong bridge. Then it was back up to Crystal Springs for the manatees. I told y'all about everyone having to wear wet suits, and how there was the possibility that you weren't actually stroking a manatee. I was listening to a John Prine cd later during a drive somewhere, when he sang this line "ain't it funny how an old broken bottle looks just like a diamond ring". Right after that, this line popped in my head "ain't it funny how an old rubber wet suit feels just like a manatee". I was sooo proud.
From there, I went over to the NASA base at Cape Kennedy, and had a real nice time going through all the exhibits, taking a tour, and a ride on the simulator. I'd still like to be there for a shuttle take-off.
I'm writing these reviews for my sake mainly, as a quick reference for the future, so that is all I've got for the Fla. leg of the trip, and from there I'll be getting into the Smokies. I give this portion of the trip an A.
No comments:
Post a Comment